Saturday, July 13, 2013

July 13, 2013 - REALLY Rough Night - RIP Trayvon Martin and Cory Monteith

Tonight is a night I'd like to forget. First, the miscarriage of justice that was the Trayvon Martin trial is a grim reminder that there are still so many racist people out in the world. I can't believe that George Zimmerman was found not guilty. Of course, not guilty is not the same as innocent, but it's a glaring reminder that people still judge others based upon the color of their skin. I can't abide by that. It's wrong.

Following that, I found out that Cory Monteith has died. I actually met him at the Season 1 finale taping of Glee. He was a wonderful man to his fans, and wanted to share his joy with them at the success of Glee, even when security wanted him to go back to the stage set.

My experience with Cory was thus:

At the taping of the S1 finale of Glee, I was coming out of the bathroom, and I nearly ran into Cory while heading back to my seat. He stopped and said hi. I told Cory about how I was there for my sister, who was underaged and unable to attend the taping, which was very distressing for her, as she's the one who had gotten me to watch the show to begin with. Cory gave me a HUGE hug and told me to give it to her, then asked that I thank her for him for being a fan of the show and supporting it. As my sister wasn't there, I ended up asking Cory for an autograph for her. He grinned while he signed, and I called my sister to tell her that I had a special surprise for her when I got home. Cory just couldn't keep a smile off his face, and it was contagious. I couldn't stop smiling either.

After I hung up the phone, I thanked Cory once again for being so kind to a fan. He gave me another huge hug (this time for me) and thanked me for being there. I admitted to being there in support of my former schoolmate Kevin McHale more than anything else. Cory's eyes danced in joy while we chatted, and he laughed when I told him about one of my memories of Kevin at school. He was so happy to be where he was, making others happy by doing his job.

Cory's death really hurts, based on that one experience. I really hope that the media allows Cory's family and friends time to grieve. I was just a fan who was lucky enough to have a moment with him, and I'm broken down over this. I don't cry easily, but for Cory (and Trayvon), the tears won't stop flowing.

No comments: