Monday, February 9, 2009

Not the Best Day Ever...



The picture tells part of my story today... Ok, not really a story, but the telling of how crappy today was.

First, it rained today. No, not when I first got up at 6:30 this morning, but after I arrived at school... I just have no idea when exactly it started. What I do know is that by 9:15, when I left to head over to my classroom, it was pouring, and I was in a t-shirt, light pants, a light jacket without a hood, and FLIP FLOPS. Yes, those damned flip-flops. Hey, I'm a California girl all the way, and those shoes are part of the lifestyle and school dress code when you're in college out here. However, being a California girl also means that I usually take any warnings of rain with a grain of salt, especially since it does rarely rain out here...

Well, that was my loss. Since I had no idea where my classroom was (the class is History of the Middle East), my darling friend Kayla was laughing at my meager attempts to protect myself from the rain. In fact, she went so far as to say, and I quote, "It could be worse..." Now, I'm sure most of you know that saying that is NEVER good... In fact, it almost always leads to something worse happening. Yep, that would be the case today. As soon as Kayla said that, it started raining HARDER!

So, not too long after that, I'm sitting and shivering in a lecture room with the AC on, nose running like crazy with no tissues to help, praying for my teacher to just let us go so I can get home and change.

Eventually, we did finish, and by then, I thank my lucky stars that the rain had let up, so that I was able to get to my car and go home to change. After all, my next class after that one wasn't for a couple of hours.

Well, to make a long-ish story a little shorter, I managed to get through that and got back to school in better close-toed shoes and socks, with a warmer pair of pants, a raincoat, and a new sweatshirt with me... Then my next class went just fine. I got in and out without much rain damage to my person (my hair - totally another story. Moisture in the air and my hair just don't mix!), and got back to the car and home safely.

HOWEVER, when I got home... I got the mail. Waiting in the mail for me was an innocent envelope. Or so I thought. Happy almost freakin' birthday to me. That envelope, well... It was my first Jury Duty Summons. And of course it wasn't for the courts near me... Oh no. It's waaaayyyy out of town. Damn it all! This would be why I hate Zeus' guts, and I hope that Hades and Persephone blast the hell out of him!

After all this, I just hope I don't get more sick since I seem to be on the path to mending, minus the whole drinking tons of tea every day, coughing, and having a stuffy/runny nose...

No comments: