Sunday, February 15, 2009

They've got MAGIC to do, Just for YOU...

Hey all! Just got home from an AWESOME version of Pippin, which is one of my fav. Broadway shows to begin with (yeah, I'm soooo not biased at all!)

First, the story summarized:

We've got Pippin. He's just finished university, and is coming home for the first time in a long while. What we find there: Daddy is King Charlemagne (called Charles in this production), Step-Mommy Fastrada (a woman who wants to put her own son on the throne and not to be trusted), and Half-Brother Lewis (who is most likely gay and very into himself). Not the happiest home situation, and it's followed by news that Charles is taking Lewis and his soldiers into war with the Visigoths... Pippin ends up convincing Charles to let him come along to war.

After all is said and done with the war, Pippin realizes that it's not what he wants from life, and that there really isn't any glory in war. He runs to where his grandmother Berthe lives, out in the country. Berthe gives him advice: "Don't fret your life away - take some time and have fun!" Well, again Pippin follows advice, and once again he still isn't happy when he's tried it.

Pippin "runs" again, and is found by Catherine, a widow with a young son. There, Pippin finds the beginnings of true responsibility, as well as a relationship that could turn into a love match, and he's still unsatisfied and runs again, still looking for what he terms his "Corner of the Sky."

This leads to the finale of the show, which I'm going to exclude from the summary to leave as a surprise in case you go and don't know the show yet... However, I will give you the final detail about the show - and one of the most important features... Pippin isn't alone. As this is a musical, he's got a whole crew behind him - including a Leading Player (quite possibly a more important character than Pippin himself.)


OK, now that we're done with the summary, let's get to the show!

First, this incarnation of Pippin is very special. It's a show that is both sung and signed. This particular version, which is currently showing at the Mark Taper Forum, is mostly double-cast with actors from Deaf West Theatre and the Center Theatre Group. When I say mostly double-cast, what I mean is that there are some characters with two actors. For example, Pippin has two incarnations that are usually onstage at the same time, so Pippin can both sing and sign. It's quite a beautiful sight to behold. Other characters onstage sign (using ASL) and lip their lines while another actor is speaking the lines offstage. With all seriousness, this is something EVERYONE should see! It's so beautiful, and it just adds another dimension to the show.

This is especially great since all the voices that were cast are excellent! I was bouncing around in my seat and singing along (at times) throughout a majority of the songs! Sooo much fun! Ok, I'm giving the list of songs... And I warn anyone who goes to see, if you've seen the show before, some of the songs/lyrics may be different from what you remember.

The list:
Magic to Do
Corner of the Sky
Back Home Again
(totally different lyrics from Welcome Home)
War is a Science (again, different lyrics)
Glory
Simple Joys
No Time At All
With You
(again, different lyrics)
Spread a Little Sunshine
Morning Glow
On the Right Track
Kind of Woman
Prayer for a Duck
Love Song
I Guess I'll Miss the Man
Finale


Now, for me there was one major failing in that listing... Extraordinary was cut from the show! That's one of my favorite songs! (Didn't exactly make my day, even though I didn't realize until after the show finished...)


Ok, and I know it took FOREVER, but on to the best part, the actors! The cast list:

• Pippin: Michael Arden (voice) & Tyrone Giordano (signing) - Both were excellent and complimented each other very well, as well as making it possible for us to see multiple sides of Pippin (especially during the finale). Boys, I'm so glad that I saw you both playing Pippin! PS - Thanks both of you for signing playbills and taking pics with my little sister! She's so thrilled!
• The Leading Player: Ty Taylor - Can you hear the heavenly choir singing around saying his name? Yes, Ty was that good. However, as great as he was, Ben Vereen still owns the role for me... However, I do have to say this as well... Ty, if you read this... You're sooo gorgeous! You gave the role such great life!
• Fastrada: Sara Gettelfinger - So much fun! She played a conniving woman very well, and just gave the perfect amount of vinegar and honey!
• Berthe: Harriet Harris - Wow! No Time at All was a huge high point in the show for me, especially with the gorgeous guys who popped up during the song... Just one question... Why the bondage gear on 'em? They would have been just fine without it!
• Lewis: James Royce Edwards - Uh, HAIR! and MUSCLES! You played gorgeous and vapid so well! Loved it, loved it, loved it! Plus, the sparkly outfit - so reminds me of something a few rock stars have worn...
• King Charles: Anthony Natale - You were great! Also, thanks for giving my sis an autograph and taking a picture with her! It means a lot!
• King Charles (voice): Dan Callaway - Loved hearing you sing!
• Catherine: Melissa van der Schyff - I'm sure after seeing you tonight that I also saw you in Big River many years ago... You were awesome as Catherine! Seriously, it was such a joy to watch!
• Theo: Nicholas Conway (sign) & Bryan Terrell Clark (voice) - I was really impressed by how cute you were, Nick. Plus, little Theo acted just like I'd expect a young boy to... Plus the duck was great!
• Magician Assistants/Players: TL Forsberg, Victoria Platt, Nikki Tomlinson, & Alexandria Wailes - Wow, you all were so beautiful and looked great! You were all excellent backing to Ty's Lead Player!
• To anyone else I didn't mention: It's late and I need some beauty sleep! - Ok, honestly, the best I can say is that this is definitely one of the excellent performances I've seen recently, and you all obviously had to work together to make it happen. Well, it all worked, and I'm just thrilled by how you sold it!

And a quick Post-Script to Rodrick Covington - Damn, babe, you're gorgeous! And I LOVE the hair! Thanks for the autograph!
And a Post-Post-Script to Bryan Terrell Clark - You have an awesome voice and you're also very handsome! Thanks for the autograph!

Ok, before I close this off with a couple pics I took of my sister with a few cast members... Anyone who gets a chance to see this really needs to go! It's absolutely worth it! The acting is superb, the costumes to die for, and the music sweet and very memorable! Please support the arts and ASL by seeing Pippin! I promise you'll enjoy yourself!



My sister with Michael Arden


Tyrone Giordano, my sister, & Anthony Natale

1 comment:

Wikkibird said...

I've never seen a broadway show, but I love your descriptions. Makes me want to see one now. :-)